Welcome to Wall Street, Main Street and Me


Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Winter 2010 (Main Street & Me)



Finally we have hit the first day of Winter (yesterday, I believe).

We've already had two snows, many freezes, and some icy rain. But today the sun is coming out, and my mood is lifting!

I'm the first to admit that I do not enjoy the holidays. Been alone too long, and Christmas is so wonderful for children, and/or loving couples. I had hoped to be part of a loving couple this year, but I got the hope pulled out from under me. It was unrealistic anyway. I'm gullible and always the optimist, in spite of my apparent cynicism. That's just my act. The trouble is only a handful of people see/know who I really am. I suppose that's true of most of us. But for me, it's a lifetime dilemma. Ah, well, so much for inner delving and philosophizing. Someday, as they say, my prince will come. (see? dopey me!)

I'm getting quotes on replacing some of the carpet in my house with flooring and/or tile, so that is also cheering me up. Henry (the cat) and the dogs have taken their toll on the pale carpeting, and I'm frankly tired of shampooing it.

I'm looking forward to the new year, to the trip to the Miami seminar in February, and there are some other possibilities on the horizon that I'm daydreaming about.

My eye is healing slowly. I was sorry to see Mark Doty, the wonderful poet, just had surgery for a detached retina. Ack. I really feel for him. This eye business can be very scary. His blog gives every detail. I couldn't write that. It makes my skin crawl to think about my surgery, much less go into that kind of minute detail. Suffice it to say, I'm so glad the worst is over. I only pray the other eye doesn't develop a hole. (there's a possibility, but not a certainty.)

I've been so happy in Asheville. I planned on never leaving Asheville for the duration. It's been the perfect town for me. But this is the second winter in a row that bears no resemblance to winter in Asheville. Global warming? Climate change? It would certainly appear so. And I may have to rethink things. Tricky.

Ho Ho Ho

##

1 comment: