Welcome to Wall Street, Main Street and Me


Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Caution ....from John Carter

One reader suggested I read John Carter's book "Mastering the Trade" and I've just started it. I can tell you it resonates. I thought I'd share the things I find in it that inspire, terrify, or teach me. This from the Introduction. And I quote:

"Trading is not about everyone holding hands, belting out the lyrics to John Lennon's Imagine, and making money together. The financial markets are truly the most democratic places on earth. It doesn't matter if a trader is male or female, white or black, American or Iraqi, Republican or Democrat. It's all based on skill.

The only way to become a professional trader is to obtain an edge, a weapon that can separate you from the rest of the migrating sheep.



That edge is gained by five key points (listed below) as well as the psychology of the trader taking the other side of the trade. Without this, as you enter the revolving door to the financial markets, filled with excitement and anticipation, the predators are merely licking their lips, because what they see is a slab of freshly cured meat, ripe for the eating. And feast they will."

  • The financial markets are naturally set up to take advantage of and prey upon human nature. As a result, markets initiate major intraday and swing moves with as few traders participating as possible. A trader who does not understand how this works is destined to lose money.
  • Traders can know more about a market than anyone else in the world, but if they apply the wrong methodology to their trading setups, they will lose money.
  • Traders can know more about an indicator or group of indicators than anyone else in the world, but if they apply the wrong methodology to those indicators, they will lose money.
  • Traders can know exactly what they are doing, but if they are trading the wrong market for their personality, they will lose money.
  • Traders can know exactly what they are doing, but if they apply the same strategies that they used to make themselves successful in other areas of their life, they will lose money.



  • And yes, I'm still waiting for oil to rally. I rolled my August long to September and it's grim. But since this is the last hurrah, I might as well sit it out. I have no alternative. As the man says, I will lose money if I do anything at the moment.

    P.S. Oh, just to make sure things don't get too dull, I just got a margin call on the account. They tell me I have until tomorrow before the hand of TOS smites me down.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment